14 July 2007

Bolivia, again

So sorry that I've been AWOL. Things have been somehow both busy and boring. I'm currently in Bolivia working on a couple of proposals, and will be here until the end of the month. Unfortunately, I learned the last time I was here that it is nearly impossible to buy decent yarn here, so I'm not going to try that hard this time. I did go past a place that might sell yarn today in a taxi, but I'm not sure if I will have a chance to get back there, given the workload I'll have over the next couple of weeks.

I did get some great textile shopping in today, though. Above on the left is a weaving from the town of Tarabuco. This traditional weaving style is done for fiestas, and was nearly extinct until two Chilean anthropologists worked with the women of the community to improve the quality and find ways to sell the weavings. I bought it at the Inca Pallay museum and shop, which is hidden above and behind the Comart Tukuypaj at Calle Linares 958. The saleswoman was very knowledgeable, and helped me to understand the symbols on the weaving. They come all ready to hang up on the walls, so there is no procrastinating for the framing. Very nice. All the proceeds go back to the women, so you can feel very good about shopping there.

I also bought some things at the Comart Tukuypaj. To the right is the scarf and sweater that I got there. Both are 100% alpaca and extremely soft. I can't seem to make the color in the camera phone photos show up well, so you have to imagine that the sweater is made up of very rich earthy colors. Not sure if it is for me or for a gift yet, so we'll see.

The brown blob is actually a picture of the sweater that I'm making for Joe. It is the Cambridge jacket from Interweave Knits summer 2006. I really like it. I'm knitting it in Cascade Heathers brownish. I had to rip out the top of the back after finishing the sides because I realized that I forgot one of the armhole decreases, but that's ok. It is a pleasure to knit. I'm excited that I'm almost done, since I started this for him last year. I think he's excited, too.

This last pic is of a toe-up sock I'm doing with Opal yarn. I like it so far, but it is my first time knitting on DPNs, and I'm not convinced of their superiority. I learned to knit in the round on two circulars, and thought that I would try this for the heck of it. It is fine, but a bit weird at the same time. I suppose that I need to get used to it. The sock yarn is ok, too. Not awesome, but solid.

I have another project on-deck, and it is Christmas knitting! I'm so good getting a jump on things. I'll post about it when I finish Joe's sweater.

On that note, I'm off. Do let me know if anyone out there has a suggestion for where to buy yarn in La Paz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello from bradenton florida usa
read your post on yarnharlot
and here i am on this hot hot muggy
morning knitters are just everywhere are they not